Monday, November 26, 2007

My email is on fire!

I haven't posted in a while because I've been struggling with a bad outlook. Seriously, my email has been completely crazy for almost a week. Wednesday it downloaded all my messages since December 2005. I painfully deleted them as they downloaded - 13,000 came in while we had dinner one night - and hoped that would be the end of it.

I didn't check email on Thursday because of Thanksgiving - too much cooking and eating and wonderful hanging out with family and friends. No time for email, and honestly I was a little afraid of what Outlook had in store for me.

Friday I checked my email just once in the morning, not much happening, not many messages, all was good. We had a horrible Friday bearing witness as our last and longest lived cat died. She was a wonderful, furry beast. Mark and I drove all the way to Houston to retrieve her from behind my friend's refrigerator where she was hiding from Julia's two cats after being abandoned by someone in the apartment building. Chamie and I had a great time until Mark and I moved in together and she met my two cats. They lived together for many years but never liked each other. We lost our first cat at 16 about four years ago, our second at almost 17 just two years ago and now Chamie at nearly 18 years old. With our allergies, it's the end of an era in our lives. There is no way I can live with a cat again, not with my asthma. And neither can my kids. And it was incredibly sad, still is sad.

So, I didn't manage to check email again until Saturday afternoon. All the messages from February 2006 on started tumbling in again. Now, I'm a believer in the delete key and even empty my delete file regularly. Although why one has to delete things twice is really beyond me. It turns out that we need to delete three times. Mark advised me to delete the messages from the server. I went to yahoo mail and painstakingly deleted my almost 30,000 messages 200 messages at a time. What a pain! There are whole areas of the last two years of my life I'd prefer not to relive again and again.

I tried not to panic this morning as Outlook gave me all my messages from November 2007 all over again. It's an improvement.

No comments: