Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Needs and Wants

Our dryer just arrived. For the second time, but it is actually hooked up and running now. It will be running all day. I've been really cranky since the delivery folks took it away a week ago for want of a shut off valve. Shut off valve was installed yesterday and the dryer today.

It is making me think about needs and wants, though. We really could have lived without a dryer. A lot of people in the world do. We've been congratulating ourselves for not considering it an emergency and spending money we didn't have, but I'm wondering if we haven't spent money on something we didn't need.

And just where are they taking the old, dead-as-a-doornail dryer? Will it be used for anything? Will the metal be recycled? Will parts be put to good use? What kind of parts are there in a dryer?

I've reconciled myself with my affluenza with one word. Lint. This house has a lot of hair. My kids all have long hair, we have rabbits and guinea pigs. My own hair is short and Mark's is less than it used to be. But the past 10 weeks with no dryer have left us with lint like I've never seen before. Big balls of it over every possible surface.

Here's a little song for you:


No comments: