Friday, August 1, 2008

Love That Library

Swiped right from the homepage of my fabulous library! The banner looks much better there than here.

In the midst of the chaos my life has become recently, I read through the 1300 page Rainbow Resource Center catalog. I keep this catalog all year and look things us as they become necessary. I picked out 13 things I wanted to read before buying and went to my library's website. From the online card catalog I was able to order most of the items myself. For the remainder, I sent an email to my inter library loan librarian for help. Most of these things are now on their way to me. It's a miracle of both modern technology and the dedication of a concerned librarian that the patron gets what she needs. I don't understand homeschoolers who never use the library. How on earth do they survive?

While Rainbow Resources includes long item descriptions and reviews, I find that actually holding the item and reading through it is the best way to determine if my kids will respond to it, find it interesting or just balk at it each time I pull it out. Now it will be like Christmas when I go to the library and pick up the items waiting for me!

I may be losing my father to Parkinson' and my mother - more rapidly, I fear - to dementia, may have lost 2 years worth of data and my laptop to a lightening strike, but I sill have the everyday life celebrations that bring happiness and peace. My library is one of them. My kids and family, my fabulous friends who let me talk for hours on end, my knitting and my new found ability to be more efficient in my daily tasks are all celebrations for me when I get home. When I'm at my parents' house, it's more difficult to see the forest through the trees, it's only trees there.

Life is good.

No comments: