Thursday, September 20, 2007

eBay


If all goes according to plan today, I will have posted our final 12 egg coddlers on eBay. If these all sell, which they probably will, that will mean we've sold about 60 of them.

This is a fine example of an egg coddler, although most are more elegant than cute. To make coddled eggs, you break the eggs into the ceramic vessel, add herbs, cheese or whatever suits your fancy, place the coddler in a pan of gently boiling water up to the rim of the coddler and wait for 6 or 7 minutes. The eggs gently cook. And toast and enjoy.

Why we have so many of them is another issue entirely, and all my fault. Mark and I were wandering through an antique store one day pre-children and I spotted one. I hadn't had coddled eggs in a long while and decided to buy it. Mark had never had coddled eggs and became fascinated with the coddlers. He started collecting. He has a collecting thing.

Collecting then meant going from store to store and hunting them down. It was partly the chase that got him engaged and partly the sheer number of patterns out there. We ended up with maybe 80 of them. Now we are selling our collection of collections to gain more peace in our lives. Some of the more common patterns don't sell, so we can still have eggs on Thursday nights.

I'm always amazed by eBay and how it has changed the face of collecting. Within minutes of posting new coddlers, I'll have a bid or a bunch of watchers. These people must have their favorite searches linked to their blackberries. It's no longer necessary to go from store to store, searching for a needle in a haystack. There are so many collectors of so many things and so much for sale, it's mind boggling. Selling things can be every bit as addicting as buying them. I like to think selling is a little healthier than buying, but I suppose it could be a bad habit too. If all the furniture, pets and kids get sold, we're in trouble.

As long as our items sell and get to their new homes safely, I'm happy. My house is less cluttered, our checking account a little less lean and someone out there got a good deal.

No comments: