Monday, September 10, 2007

Sleepy Heads

One of the major changes we have made to our lives this year is that I actually wake my children up in the morning. There is something so delicious about a child sleeping that I have never done this before unless it was absolutely necessary - like to get to Girl Scouts and Writer's Workshop last year. The problem with this approach is that those mornings were simply terrible. Bad karma for the whole house.


The other issue is that I can't complain that our kids don't have any time management skills if we don't help them manage their time! We spent a lot of time last year going to this class and that activity, sometimes three in one day. It was exhausting. And it was emotionally draining because we were always late, or just barely on time. I turned into the Wicked Witch of the West just to get us out of the house.



So, now I wake them up every day at the same time. And now I get up every day at the same time. We have routines - what a concept! Little Missy here actually combs her hip length curls every day. The dishes get done, the house is vacuumed, math, science, reading, history, etc. are all on schedule. Now, I realize that most grown-ups understood the power of routines and schedule long before me, I'm just celebrating our victory over chaos! The Little Man still gets to sleep in as long as he likes, but he needs more sleep at his age, especially as he refuses to nap most days.

2 comments:

Babette said...

Okay well, I like your routine setting idea. I spent the first week establishing our routines too. And the second week breaking them. Its funny how little excuse I need to break a routine. Just an email from my brother asking me to send pics, or a phone call from a friend, and I'm off track. The real hardship is for me to stick with it because the kids are more than willing to follow, or do whatever!

Elizabeth said...

Yes, we're flexible with the routines too. I have a chart for them to do morning, afternoon and evening chores, along with assigning homeschool stuff. We'll change it when it doesn't work anymore.