Saturday, April 26, 2008

Unrecoverable Error

I count this among the top five mistakes of my life. Right along side my first marriage, poisoning my oldest with garbanzo/fava bean flour, opening a home equity line of credit, and buying a new Saturn.

Look at this poor child. He's completely lost his identity with his short hair. When the hair dresser said we'd cut the front, but keep the back long, she clearly had a different definition of long than I did. He may as well have a buzz cut. She asked "Is this a good length to cut off?" as she was cutting it. Before I could even respond, 8 beautiful inches were lopped off, cascading to the floor.

I've tried to put a brave face on it. Tried to accept that his hair is gone. But all night long that tape of his locks falling to the floor played over and over in my head. Like a nightmare where you are running away from something or someone you can't identify, or a bad news loop on TV.

I wanted him to be able to see without brushing his hair out of his face. I didn't want him to lose his self. It can't grow back fast enough. I just hope it's the same when it does grow. The same tight, tangly curls that make him who he is.

1 comment:

Babette said...

I think it looks cute. I still see little man and his identity is strong as ever. I think you are having an emotional reaction based on your own hair thing, which is cool, but truly your guy looks adorable and is his own gorgeous self as always.