Friday, May 23, 2008

8 Kids in a Yarn Shop



I recently received a gift certificate to a yarn shop as a thank you gift. This made me remember a 2 year old, unredeemed gift certificate which I had carefully tucked into Barbara Walker's Knitting From the Top. How I knew it was there and was able to locate the book is beyond me, but gives me hope for my brain's future.

I then happened on to a plan to go to the yarn shop, Chix with Stix, in Forest Park. It's not close to my house, which is why the first certificate had not been used up. That, and I had forgotten it. It is, however, very close to our Writer's Workshop activity at a friends home in Oak Park. I convinced Kim to go with me. She convinced Lori.



So, after my horrible attempt at parallel parking in a spot that a semi could have fit it, the three of us happy, homeschooling moms were lost in the bliss of a good yarn shop. Two of us were spending gift money, adding to our joy. The kids - 5 boys and 3 girls behaved remarkably well. It helps that the shop has a chihuahua and a comfy couch and a play area for the littlest of the bunch. The shop keepers tried not to be panicked by our presence. They weren't completely successful in that. But they were nice about it. And the kids didn't get in trouble until we left the store, laden with our new purchases. They were climbing the brick wall of the doctor's office next door. My little one was playing with the mail slot. Both those things were against the doctor's rules, and he came out to tell us so.



And this is what I purchased! Sock yarn for my sister in law - a yummy bamboo, cotton, elastic blend. After reading reviews on Ravelry, I learned the yarn can be short. Good thing Marsha has small feet! Another ball of sock yarn, and a fabulous sock knitting carry along bag. It's cute and convenient and totally not like me to indulge in something frivilous. I put my boy's socks in there and can't wait to knit in public with this bag. It's a very hip improvement over the zip lock bag. Or the plastic newspaper sleeve I used the other day.

The new yarns are sitting on my poor loom. My loom has been begging me to weave for some time. The rug on there is finished except for the hemming. Knitting has taken over my passion for it's portability, but weaving is something I need to return to. Soon. The rhythm of weaving and physical activity of it is much different than knitting. Soon.








No comments: