Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sock Adventures

A wonderful thing has happened in my knitting life lately. I have finally learned to knit two socks at once! After two pairs that came out a row off in length, bothering me greatly, a book I had requested from the our wonderful library came in. I've read books and tried different methods before, but somehow Knitting Circles Around Socks made it click for me. The instructions are very clear and after the first few rows I was hooked.

Those first few rows were difficult. I'm a rebellious knitter and don't read instructions well, skimming over what I think is superfluous but turns out to be critically important. My kids called it torture knitting as I cast on three times before getting it, complaining the whole time. After finishing the leg yesterday, I didn't open the book because I had remembered to do each heal separately. Imagine my shock when I got to the second heel and couldn't knit it because of the direction it was facing. Ripped it.

So, these socks will be identical in length, if not in pattern. The oldest picked out the yarn, mainly for its camouflage colors. It's mainly cotton, though, so not elastic at all. It's growing on me.

The other wonderful thing in my knitting world lately is Ravelry. I had signed up for a spot and got a password in February, but never spent the time to see what it was all about. Oh my. What a valuable resource for knitters! I looked up the sock yarn, got advice, saw pictures of completed projects and read reviews. I've looked up patterns I want to knit and have seen pictures of completed projects to determine if they will work, what yarn worked, etc.

All this has kept my mind off of the Little Man's complete, full body flare up. Looking through our pictures, I realized that it hits every year at the same time, his diet isn't the culprit in this case. Some kind of pollen. He's miserable. He's not sleeping, he's scratching all night long. We have a plan, it's improving slowly, but she's still waking up with bloody pjs. Sigh.
I need a Ravelry for eczema.

No comments: