Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Life is a Beach



We had a great day at the Indiana Dunes State Park last week, despite the shocking $10 gate fee for out of state folks and the 5 to 6 gallons of gas it took to drive.

It was a beautiful day. Sunny, bright, cool. Being a school day, we had the beach pretty much all to ourselves. The kids played, the moms talked. Some people walked, mostly we just hung out. It was everything the beach should have been, relaxing, enjoyable, peaceful. We missed traffic both ways, so all around the trip was wonderful.

Did I mention the sand? It was, after all, a beach trip. I've vacuumed the whole house twice since we got back and am still combating the sand. I've never seen so much sand come out of one diaper in all my 9 years as a parent of a diapered child! We slept in sand, walked in sand, ate sand. Roomba is not effective against sand, swiffer is not effective against sand, even my super-duper Miele is having trouble with all this sand.

We went away for a day just after our beach trip, so we had some sand free time and returned to our sand-enveloped home. I've changed the sheets, got into every conceivable nook and cranny and still have sand sticking to the bottoms of my feet. Another vast right-wing conspiracy.

We'll go back next week and start the whole process over again.

No comments: