Saturday, February 2, 2008

Check-ups and Thing


We had two doctor's appointments this morning at 8 and 8:30. Not a good time for our family, except for Mark who is used to early rising. But it means we were the first appointments and only had to wait about half an hour to see the doctor. This is perhaps the only doctor I would ever be willing to wait for, and we wait evey time. The wait is always worth it. She really listens to us, spends more time with each patient than any other doctor I've ever seen, asks intelligent questions and is completely focused.

Our little man has struggled with severe eczema his whole life. Food allergies are a big culprit, but not the only one. He can't have wheat, dairy, eggs, legumes, nuts, corn syrup, pineapple and other fruits or flax seeds. We haven't tried new foods with him lately, but have been able to expand his repetoire lately as his tastes change. In the past month, he's developed a love for yogurt - soy and goat. The goat yogurt is much better for him, given it has 8 grams of fat a serving and is a simpler food than soy yogurt. His belly button is, for the first time, an innie. He looks less and less scrawny every day and we are thrilled. His eczema is better, he has two spots now; around his mouth and behind his knees. A year ago he was a full body, bleeding mess. And the chinese herbal treatments have strengthened his immune system to the point where when he gets a cold, it's very short in duration. The rest of the family has experienced this as well.

For my part, I had accupuncture for the first time today. It was the most relaxing thing I've ever done! She gave me needles to help my ankle pain and help with weight loss, after a regular office visit. I had them in for 45 minutes or so and feel fabulous now. It could just be that I rarely have 45 minutes to myself to do nothing but be. I wish I hadn't resisted accupuncture for so long, particularly if it gets me over the mobility and pain issues. With one car, Mark had to take the kids shopping and come back to get me. I was in there for two hours, so maybe the needles were in longer.



And here is my thing for the day. All the things up at http://www.thing-a-day.com/ are so interesting! I've been dreaming of ways to use up my fabric stash. It's clogging the basement and cluttering my life. But I can't just throw it out, most of it. I need to weave rugs, a stair runner, knit blankets, etc. Big plans for big fabric. So, last week I got out an old dress and cut some strips to make beads with. There were fun to make, I especially like the fringe. Then I made a box out of card stock and glued them to the top. Someday I'll open up an Etsy shop...

No comments: