Monday, February 4, 2008

Homecoming

I wish I had taken a picture or video of my girl's return from her Girl Scouts camping trip, but all I have is one of her leaving. She was exhausted from packing and waiting for me to get the car out of the garage. I had misjudged how much snow we had received and got stuck in the driveway.

Her homecoming was amazing - as I'm sure the trip itself was. The boys hugged and hugged her and wouldn't let go, even with the promise of dinner. They made a banner welcoming her home and put it across the hallway to the dining room. Then everyone talked at once to catch each other up on what happened in her absence, she telling us what she did on her trip. After all that energy fighting on a daily basis, we had an evening of love and togetherness.

It made me think we are in a rut. Certainly our financial woes have put a strain on the kids, although we aren't in a place where we are depriving ourselves of necessities. Our being stuck at home for lack of a car has stiffled us considerably. So, when the kids got up this morning, I told them the project of the day was to make an igloo before the snow melted. They had to go outside and work together and figure it out. They were out there 2 hours, but the rain and the melt hindered them. I hope the start of their structure remains for the snow we are supposed to get tomorrow night.

Every time I looked out the window, they were hard at work arranging their bricks, trying to figure out how to make it stand up and hold a roof. It was amazing to see them at work/play. Collaborating, discussing, throwing snow, making snow angles, working on the igloo, getting really wet and hungry. We need more creativity in our lives. And less fog.




Two more paper box animals today. I made some marble magnets yesterday, but am not happy with them. Aside from that I've been knitting, knitting, knitting on the baby blanket with no end...

1 comment:

Babette said...

Those are adorable!